SE Electronics RNR1 Ribbon Mic
Credit provided subject to age and status. Learn more.
Discount coupons not valid for finance purchases.
A ribbon with extended high-end, high SPL handling and a design by the great legend of studio gear, Rupert Neve, The sE Electronics RNR1 is a remarkable microphone.
- Active ribbon microphone
- Directional pattern: Figure-8
- Frequency range: 20 Hz - 25 kHz
- Max SPL: 135 dB (0.5% THD @ 1kHz)
- Self Noise: 18 dB(A)
- Low Cut Filter Switch: 100 Hz
- Power requirement: 48V phantom
- Includes innovative open-front shock mount, allowing for easier placement and close micing
- Comes with wooden case and protective sleeve
Meet the RNR1; the world's first mic from Mr. Rupert Neve. With custom transformers and discrete circuitry from the man behind the recording industry as we know it, the RNR1 hears more than any other ribbon on the planet.
Ribbon mics have been around for a long time, and have always been particularly prized for the exceptionally "natural" sound they provide. Not too forward, never bright or shiny, they capture midrange detail with a pleasant intimacy and usually sit quite easily in a mix.
One downside of their mellow nature used to be physical delicacy, but that challenge was conquered long ago with more rugged, reliable materials. But the other main negative with ribbon mics is the high-frequency roll-off inherent in their design, which had never been dealt with until Rupert Neve - the father of the recording console - decided to make a microphone.
Nobody knows audio transformers better than Rupert Neve, and ribbon mics require more transformer attention than any other. This is because the transformer that couples the ribbon to the output needs to accomplish a fairly massive impedance conversion. With the RNR1, two custom Rupert Neve-designed transformers form the buffer between the ribbon and the outside world. The circuitry between those transformers helps maintain the ultra-wide frequency response, compensating for the ribbon's natural predisposition to roll it off, and thus high-frequency content is preserved.
During the RNR1's development, a full year was spent working on crafting a ribbon element that would provide the extended response that Mr. Neve demanded. After experimenting with ribbon materials available from all corners of the world, the design team landed on the 2.5µm aluminum ribbon used in the RNR1, striking the perfect balance of flexibility and stiffness needed for this microphone's exceptional performance.
As with many sE microphones, the RNR1 has an unusual and bold design aesthetic, with the form following the function. The precision-machined and scalloped edges don't just look vibrant and dramatic, they have also been custom-designed to provide the ribbon with an acoustically ideal setting for the best possible frequency response. The matte black finish means the mic remains unobtrusive and doesn't draw any unnecessary attention to itself under harsh stage or studio lighting.
The RNR1 includes a custom-designed and easy-to-use shock mount, which is essential in use to reduce the unwanted effects of vibration or knocks to the supporting microphone stand.
Please note that these videos are dynamically generated by means of a Youtube search for the phrase "SE Electronics RNR1 Ribbon Mic" to save you time searching Youtube yourself. As such, the views expressed may not be those of Red Dog Music Limited, any product features or specifications quoted should be confirmed with Red Dog Music staff prior to ordering, and the content may not always be relevant to the product shown on this page.
Brauner's most basic solid-state condenser microphone offering absolutely no compromise on quality.
- Equivalent Noise: < 11 dB A (IEC651)
- Signal to Noise > 83 dB (1 Pa/1 kHz-Cardioid)
- Sensitivity: 28 mV / Pa-Cardioid
- Pattern: Cardioid
- Frequency Range: 20 Hz - 22 kHz
- Maximum SPL: 142 dB SPL @ 0,3 % THD
- Power Supply 48 V phantom power
With that famous sound, and a performance-inspiring style, any vocalist will feel like a star in front of the Neumann TLM49
- Cardioid condenser microphone
- Sound profile optimised for vocal performance
- Pressure gradient transducer with the large-diaphragm capsule of the legendary U 47
- Transformerless output circuitry
- Acoustically very open wire mesh headgrille
- Complete set with elastic suspension
The Townsend Labs Sphere L22 gives you access to the sound of many legendary microphones, modelling every characteristic to bring your recordings to life.
- Record with the sound of microphones many have only dreamt about
- Change mic type, polar pattern, and other microphone characteristics, even after tracking!
- Audition the sound of different microphones without tiring the vocalist
- Reduce bleed, undesirable room coloration, and other common issues using Off-Axis Correction™
- Record in stereo from a single microphone
- Access some of the most prized microphones of all time,
- including a 47 (with VF14 tube), a 67, an M49, and a C12.
- Includes: 10 foot breakout cable, Shock mount, Swivel mount, Hard carrying case and Plush dust cover
Quickly becoming an industry standard, the sE Electronics Gemini 2 performs beautifully on vocals, brass instruments and more.
- Valve condenser studio microphone
- Polar pattern: Cardioid
- Frequency response: 20Hz-20KHz
- Sensitivity: 12.6mV/Pa - 38 ± 1dB(0dB=1V/Pa 1000Hz)
- Equivalent noise level: 12dB(A weighted)
- Max SPL for 0.5% THD@1000Hz: 135dB
- Power requirement: External PSU included
- Includes flight case, shock mount, power supply and wooden microphone box
Cardioid pattern studio condenser microphone perfect for close miking applications for uncoloured precision.
- Directional characteristics: Cardioid
- Principle of operation: Pressure gradient
- Cartridge type: Pre-polarized condenser
- Frequency range: 20 Hz to 20 kHz
- Sensitivity, nominal ±2 dB at 1 kHz: 10 mV/Pa; -40 dB re. 1 V/Pa
- Equivalent noise level, A-weighted, re. 20 µPa: Typ. 18 dB(A) re. 20 µPa (max. 20 dB)
- S/N ratio (A-weighted), re. 1 kHz at 1 Pa (94 dB SPL): Typ. 76 dB(A)
- Total Harmonic Distortion (THD): < 1 % up to 139 dB SPL peak
- Power supply (for full specifications): 48 V Phantom power (± 4 V)
- Connector: XLR-3M. Pin 1: shield, Pin 2: signal + phase, Pin 3: - phase
Retro-look multi-pattern transformerless condenser microphone designed for studio use.
- Multi-pattern: cardioid, figure-8, and omni
- 2x 26mm diaphragm condenser capsules
- Internal shock dampers for minimal handling noise
- Transformerless FET fully balanced electronics
- Highest quality hand-wired electronic components
- Includes padded metal carry case
- Requires 48v phantom power
£1299.00 inc VAT
Available to order (more info)
- Free shipping to most of the UK
Shipping to mainland UK destinations for all items over £99 is FREE. For all other items, shipping currently starts at £4.99 unless specified otherwise.
If you require shipment to destinations outside the UK, please contact us for a quote.
- 14-day money-back guarantee
For all items ordered online or over the phone, we offer the statutory 14 day “cooling off period”. This means that if you are unhappy with the goods for whatever reason, you can return them for a full refund within this period.
Please note, however, that certain items are exempt from this – see our Terms and Conditions for more info.
- 3 year warranty
This product comes with a 3 year warranty as standard.
Please note that you will need to register your product with the manufacturer to qualify for any warranty beyond 12 months.