Focusrite Octopre mk2 Dynamic
- Eight award-winning Focusrite pre-amps - Focusrite's unparalleled pre-amp legacy forms the foundation of this new device, with pre-amps optimized to handle extreme levels from sound sources like acoustic drums.
- Eight ‘single-dial’ Focusrite Compressors - A single dial gets you to the right amount of compression, fast. These new VCA-based, feed-forward compressors model the character of the celebrated Focusrite Red 3.
- Compress transparently or with effect - The classic soft-knee design achieves beautifully transparent compression that caresses your sound. Focusrite’s unique “More” switch doubles the ratio to deliver ‘compression with effect’.
- Built-in eight channel 24-bit / 96 kHz digital outputs - Make the most of your interface's ADAT input for tracking, with eight channels of analogue to digital conversion via ADAT, boasting a ‘real world’ dynamic range performance of 110dB.
- Built-in eight channel 24-bit / 96 kHz digital inputs - Switchable from the front panel, digital to analogue conversion via ADAT provides analogue monitoring of any digital ADAT feed, as well as the ability to clock from any ADAT device.
- State-of-the-art Clocking Solutions - OctoPre MkII Dynamic's internal clock delivers a jitter performance of +/- 20 PPM. For external clocks, industry-standard JetPLL™ jitter elimination technology is employed
- Two high-quality instrument inputs - OctoPre MkII Dynamic’s first two channels feature DI’s, ready for you to plug in your Guitars and Bass. No expensive external DI required.
With eight channels of Focusrite microphone pre-amplification, eight VCA-based Red 3-derived compressors and built-in 24-bit / 96 kHz digital inputs and outputs, OctoPre MkII Dynamic is Focusrite’s feature-rich expansion upgrade for any digital audio workstation. It’s equally an ideal expansion for any analogue or digital console, or hard disk recorder.
Digital inputs and outputs let you make the most of often-neglected ADAT i/o; ideal for expanding the number of mic-pre inputs on your interface or for providing analogue monitoring from any digital ADAT feed.
With this entire package fitting into a single 1U chassis complementing Focusrite’s Saffire PRO range, and all controls adjustable from the front fascia, OctoPre MkII Dynamic sets the standard for modern, compact, multi-channel recording expansions.
Focusrite has, over the past two decades, built a reputation as the market leader for high quality recording equipment, with its mic pre technology as the cornerstone of that enviable reputation.
The original ISA mic pre, as featured in the early Focusrite Forte console, is still used by many of the industry's greatest producers and has contributed to the sound of countless hit records. Today, Focusrite design equipment for a far greater audience, from professionals to amateur enthusiasts, all with varying budgets.
As with the Classic ISA mic pre used in both the ISA and Red ranges, the Saffire mic pre found in the OctoPre MkII Dynamic is designed to the highest possible standards. It upholds the same wide bandwidth philosophy featured in the original forté console, back in 1989. As with the Classic ISA mic pre, the Saffire mic pre design features custom components which have undergone an intense testing and qualification process.
With the facts and figures in, Focusrite designs then have to pass the essential listening stage. Any design can measure well on the test bench but only a great design can be qualified in the studio. The FET-based Saffire mic pre design is no exception. It delivers clarity without colouration and exhibits the signature transparency for which Focusrite have become famous.
With the high channel count interfaces (Saffire PRO 40 and Liquid Saffire 56) and both the OctoPre MkII and OctoPre MkII Dynamic, the Saffire pre-amp has been optimized for drums. The theoretical maximum level of a microphone was calculated, and the mic pre was adjusted with this in mind so as not to clip with this level present, set to minimum gain. As a result, the mic pre won’t clip, even with a high output level mic right up close to a snare drum (the mic input will accept signal levels up to +16dBU from a microphone).
The Compressors featured in OctoPre MkII Dynamic are a new VCA-based, feed-forward design, derived from the celebrated Focusrite Red 3.
With just a single dial, these eight 'recording' compressors allow you to get to the desired amount of compression for each channel, fast, providing a natural but loud sound. The single dial solution decreases the threshold, and increases the makeup gain simultaneously, the result of which is a sound that gets progressively more compressed but retains a good output level.
The compressors uses a soft-knee progressive compression curve, modelled on the properties of the Red 3 compressor, and featuring a fixed Attack time of 1.2 ms and Release time of 28ms. The circuit has been tuned by ear at Focusrite and these settings were chosen after critical listening and analysis of the Red 3. Bass guitar and drums were put through the Red 3 compressor, and the threshold, ratio, attack and release envelopes were modified until the desired 'controlled' sound was achieved. These settings were then applied to the new VCA circuit where the soft knee and ratio curve had been duplicated. A further listening then helped to tweak the settings and ensure that the compressors behaved as expected.
The compressor has two modes: Normal and ‘More’, which let you change the behaviour of the compressor to suit different instruments. Whist the Red 3 is well known and loved for its sympathetic approach to compression, it’s not regarded as an ‘effect’ compressor. However, with the OctoPre MkII Dynamic’s 'More' button, found on each compressor, you can bring a bit of aggression to your sound. The More button doubles the ratio from 2:1 to 4:1 and shifts the threshold range, so you have more sensitivity on control. The threshold is closed down, working across a smaller range, as you’re applying threshold control over a much louder signal.
- Eight High Quality Award-winning Focusrite Pre-amps
- Built-in eight channel 24-bit / 96 kHz digital output
- Mic-pres optimised for tracking drums
- Two quality Hi-Z instrument inputs
- 5 LED input metering on every channel
- -10dB Pads on every channel
- Direct outputs on every channel
- 48V Phantom power available on every channel
- State-of-the-art Clocking Solutions
Need to add 8 channels of mic preamps to your interface or line mixer? The SMPro EP84 takes care of business!
- 8 x discrete microphone preamplifiers
- Mic In: Min sensitivity -60 dB
- XLR and TRS inputs and outputs
- Insert points per channel
- Line In: Peak input level: +32 dB
- 48V Phantom Power per channel
- Frequency response: 20Hz- 20KHz 0dB- -0.5dB
- Phase reverse per channel
- 80 Hz Low cut filter per channel
- Max Gain: 58dB
You won't get much more preamp bang for your buck than with the 8-channels of the SMPro PR8E!
- 8-channel microphone preamplifier
- Balanced XLR/combo inputs and TRS outputs
- Frequency response: 20Hz- 20KHz 0dB- -0.5dB
- Max gain: 58dB
- Switchable +48V phantom power
- Phase reverse per channel
- Ultra-Wide Dynamic Range
- Line Input: Peak input level +32 dB
- Four ISA series transformer-based preamps
- Eight-channel optional A-D converter
- Selectable impedance
- Four front panel instrument inputs
- Dedicated analogue insert points
- Variable high pass Focusrite filter
- Accurate LED meters for every channel
- Phantom power available on every channel
- Trim control allows 20dB of extra gain with fine adjustment
- Phase reverse buttons help to correct phase issues with microphones or cables
- Optional A-D converters easily synchronise to external word clock
- Eight ISA series transformer-based pre amps
- Optional Eight Channel 192kHz ADC
- Convenient 25 pin D-Type connectors
- Switchable Impedance
- Direct Instrument inputs
- Inserting available on every channel
- High pass filter, Phase reverse and Phantom power
- Six LED input meter
£499.00 inc VAT
This item is currently in stock and available to order online.
If you wish to collect, please make sure to call your local Red Dog Music branch to confirm availability before travelling.
- Free shipping to most of the UK
Shipping to mainland UK destinations for all items over £20 is FREE. For all other items, shipping is currently £5 unless specified otherwise.
If you require shipment to destinations outside the UK, please contact us for a quote.
- 14-day money-back guarantee
For all items ordered online or over the phone, we offer the statutory 14 working day “cooling off period”. This means that if you are unhappy with the goods for whatever reason, you can return them for a full refund within this period.
Please note, however, that certain items are exempt from this – see our Terms and Conditions for more info.
- 1 year warranty
This product comes with a 1 year warranty as standard.
Please note that you will need to register your product with the manufacturer to qualify for any warranty beyond 12 months.